Sunday, May 17, 2009

Johnstons in Finland

Why are we going to Finland? My maternal grandmother immigrated from Finland to the US in 1939 at the age of 17 leaving behind parents and four brothers and sisters. My maternal grandfather's parents immigrated to the US from Finland (the same area as my grandmother) in 1901 (great grandfather)and 1903 (great grandmother) leaving many family members behind, too.



As I was growing up, my grandparents and mother took my brother, sister, and me to Finland in 1976 and my sister and me in 1980. We met many cousins, aunts, and uncles. I saw the places my grandmother grew up around as a girl and saw the churches and cemeteries where both my grandparents' families worshipped and died. These were life-changing trips for me as I look back at them now.



Now it is time to take my children (Davis and Austin) to see these places, meet many more family members, and gain a bigger sense of who they are in this world. My mom, Janice McDonald (Mama Janice) and my niece, Jessica Brookins who is 13, is also going with us or maybe I should say we are going with her! We will stay with my grandmother's niece and nephew, Lena Andersson and Mats Holti, but will visit many other relatives.



I hope you will read and keep up with us. My students at school are interested in the midnight sun so I will be adding pictures along the way. We leave May 27 and will return June 30.

7 comments:

  1. Cousin Paula wishes you all a grest time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Davis, and Austin, have a safe trip and treasure every moment you have with your family. I enjoyed so much visiting my mother's family in England when I was young.

    GranDebbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Hope you're settling in well and the boys are wide-eyed! I enjoyed your photo of all your luggage! I know you'll have a great time.
    Love ya
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be so interesting! I can see you are teaching as you go and it is on my level. I'll check back often. Greg V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there- I am enjoying your blog very much and will share with Gran-Gran (Jean)so she can keep up with your trip too. Have fun and enjoy your adventure !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there- I am enjoying following you on your trip. I will share your posts with Gran-Gran so that she can too. Have fun and enjoy your adventure !

    Love you,

    Aunt Beki

    ReplyDelete